Republican governmental enterprise “M. Aitkhozhin Institute of molecular biology and biochemistry” (IMBB) is one of the leading research and advisory center on molecular biology, molecular genetics, molecular medicine and bioengineering in Kazakhstan.
The main objectives of M. Aitkhozhin Institute of molecular biology and biochemistry
The main subject of activity of the Institute, in accordance with the Charter, is the implementation of activities in the field of scientific research. The purpose of “M. Aitkhozhin Institute of molecular biology and biochemistry” is conducting scientific research in the field of general and molecular genetics and cell biology of humans, animals, plants and microorganisms, the development of new areas of modern genetics and cell biology, the introduction of new effective developments for medicine, ecology and agriculture, the study and generalization of the achievements of world science, having socio-economic importance for genetic monitoring, development of diagnostics and test systems in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The structure of M. Aitkhozhin Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (IMBB)
The Institute is headed by a Director General. The structure of the Institute has an administrative department and 7 laboratories:
Laboratories are fitted with modern equipment for molecular biological, genetic, immunological and biochemical studies. Furthermore, a local bioethical commission has been established at the Institute. The meetings of the Academic council, the Directorate and the Young scientists council are held regularly as well.
Scientific potential of the Institute
The scientific potential of the Institute consists of highly qualified specialists in the field of molecular and cellular biology, biotechnology, genetic engineering, immunobiotechnology, oncoimmunology, ethno-and personalized genomics. The research personnel of the Institute has a high theoretical and methodological knowledge. Personnel training in leading foreign scientific centers in such countries as Switzerland, UK, Israel, Germany, France, Hungary, USA, Czech Republic and Canada is carrying out constantly for providing latest world standards in scientific research work.
Mission of the Institute
Initiation, development and formation innovative research in synthetic biology, genomics and personalized medicine in Kazakhstan, creation competitive, high-tech scientific products on their basis. The products’ commercialization and training of highly qualified personnel for the successful implementation of this mission.
Vision of the Institute
- The leading Institute in innovative areas of molecular and cellular biology, genetics, genetic engineering, biochemistry, immunobiotechnology and personalized medicine in Kazakhstan.
- Competitive, self-sustained, dynamically developing Institute which scientific production is based on high (omics) technologies and competences of human resources.
The Institute’s strategy
The strategic goal of the Institute is the development and formation of a competitive, self-supporting, dynamically developing Institute through the implementation (commercialization) of scientific products, knowledge and skills based on high (omics) technologies and competencies, as well as ensuring long-term and stable work of the team. To achieve this goal, our priorities are:
- modernization of the Institute’s management in accordance with modern international requirements through the introduction of basic management approaches;
- formation of highly professional scientific personnel possessing the latest research competencies and information technologies at the level of world standards;
- implementation of fundamental, applied and innovative research within the framework of grant and program-targeted financing;
- commercialization of finished scientific products;
- attracting of foreign investment through active participation in supranational projects and obtaining international research grants, cooperation with research centers abroad;
- active participation and receipt of grant funding through the Ministry of education, Ministry of health and other relevant ministries;
- cooperation with Scientific centers and Universities, Ministry of health care and Ministry of science and higher education of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- initiation, creation and inclusion/implementation in consortia on inclusive innovations to find a source of financing on the basis of public-private co-financing;
- professional development of staff in research centers abroad (joint research, training, advanced methods training);
- development and implementation of commercial contracts with leading universities of the country in specialties related to the field of scientific areas of the Institute, the creation on this basis of the educational center and the development of dual education in the field of “molecular biology”, “Biomedicine” and “biotechnology” for undergraduates and PhD-doctoral students;
- improving of scientific publications’ rating of the Institute’s personnel in the international databases Web of Science and Scopus on the basis of scientometric indicators and Hirsch index.