Scientific schools are always collectives and so it was moved in science that each of them bears a name of the founder and the teacher. Currently at the M. Aitkhozhin Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry successfully continue to develop the previously established areas of five scientific schools:
- The school of the academician of the Academy of Sciences of KazSSR M.A.Aitkhozhin, Lenin prize laureate, the founder of molecular biology in Kazakhstan (student of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Lenin prize laureate A.S. Spirin, Director of the Institute for protein research of Russian Academy of Sciences). The main scientific direction of the school is “Protein biosynthesis and molecular basis of its regulation”. This direction is actively developing and is currently supported by the Laboratory of protein and nucleic acids (head of Lab, doctor of biological sciences Iskakov B.K.). Professor B.K. Iskakov is the successor of the scientific school of academician M.A. Aitkhozhin in the study of molecular mechanisms and regulation of protein biosynthesis in plants and has prepared students: candidate of biological sciences Zhanybekova S.S.; candidate of biological sciences Akbergenov R.Zh.; doctor of biological sciences Shaikhin S.M.; candidate of biological sciences Zhigailov A.V. In addition, B.K. Iskakov is the founder of the Kazakh scientific school in the field of genetic engineering of plants to improve their resistance to pathogenic viruses and abiotic environmental factors. In this area prepared students: candidate of biological sciences Karpova O.V.; candidate of biological sciences Nizkorodova A.S.; Ph.D. Kryldakov R.V.
- School of academician of NAS RK N.A. Aitkhozhina, founder of molecular genetics and molecular medicine in Kazakhstan (student of the Academy of Sciences of USSR, Lenin prize laureate G.P. Georgiev, Director of the Institute of biology gene of RAS). The main scientific direction – human genome, molecular medicine, plant genome, regulation of gene activity, genodiagnostics, molecular basis of hereditary and gene-mediated diseases. The team of employees, which continues to develop these areas at present, works at M. Aitkhozhin Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, and in other scientific centers, Research institutes of Kazakhstan.
- School of biochemistric and corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of KazSSR L.K. Klyshev. The main scientific direction of the school – “Metabolism of secondary compounds in plants, the enzymology of their exchange and regulation”, the direction, which continued the activities of the Laboratory of plant signal systems.
- School of academician of Kazakh SSR N.D. Beklemishev. The main scientific direction of the school is “Experimental and clinical allergology and immunology”. The direction of molecular immunology and immunobiotechnology began to form at M. Aitkhozhin Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry under the guidance of doctor of biological sciences, professor N.N. Belyaev, a student of N.D. Beklemishev. Currently, the traditions of the school are supported and developed by the Laboratory of molecular immunology and immunobiotechnology (acting head of Lab, candidate of biological sciences, R.T. Tleulieva)
- School of doctor of biological sciences, professor Yu.V. Peruansky is one of the founders of biochemistry, physiology and biotechnology of agricultural plants. The main scientific direction of school – “Biochemical bases of increase of productivity of grain crops”, continues the activities of the Laboratory of biochemistry of grain crops (head of Lab, candidate of biological sciences A.A. Khakimzhanov).